Thursday, February 5, 2009

Web Developer/Programmer Visit & Why I Know I Am Right Teaching Search Strategies

It always hits me at this time of year. Will my program get cut or not? Don't they know I am preparing kids for the literacy they will need in the 21st Century? Then there are the staff meetings in my classroom. What is Boolean? And what that leads to is a lot of moping around and why oh why doesn't anyone understand me and my curriculum!?

Well I guess there is one dude in Oregon who understands the savings technology provide to a district. Not only that but he also understood to use the technology someone has to teach how to use it effectively in authentic settings. That man is Paul Navarre from Net Interaction.

It is kind of like the text from Understanding by Design (Wiggins, 2005). You start with a desired outcome, discern the acceptable evidence and then design the learning activities. It is in those learning activities that technology can be used with purpose and context. No assistant can do that.

Like Paul said, "Technology is only a tool."

1 comment:

Todd Frimoth said...

Thanks for your comments and your reference to UbD by Grant Wiggins. It is the model we should be using to acquire tech tools. What will be used for? How will it impact student learning? Your voice is a great one for our class. Keep up the great thinking!