Thursday, January 29, 2009

Signal to Noise at BSD

Scott who is a TOSA came from BSD came to class today to talk about one of his projects Signal to Noise which is a multi-format short film contest, K-12, in his district.

It is amazing the support his district gives him and the opportunities that the students have. Having that outlet can really prepare students for skills necessary in college.

I wish I could see the tv studio at Conestoga M.S. Last year I was able to do a broadcasting club with my 5th and 6th graders, but we had to videotape it, edit it and burn it on dvds. Then we distributed it to teachers to show on their t.v.s.

Mt. Hood Community College also has a unit that will work with 6-12 grades on producing video. It is free, or at least it was. They come out to the schools.

Because of a conflict with after school meetings, I was not able to do the broadcasting club this year. I do a movie with the 4th graders, but maybe I should do something with the 5th and 6th graders at the end of the year in video production. Hmmmmm

1 comment:

Todd Frimoth said...

I bet if you emailed Scott, he would give you a tour of his facility at his studio or at Conestoga's. You obviously see the powerful learning in the "making TV" idea. I would encourage you to seek out ways to resurrect that after school club; maybe make it a part of the curriculum--using information literacy as the curriculum link. Love having your voice in class!