Thursday, February 19, 2009

CIO- Now I Know

Wow, Steve Langford helped me understand my ITC Director. Maybe it is natural to immediately want to focus on infrastructure. A lot of staff were upset when we invested in Microsoft Outlook instead of transitioning to gmail. It used a lot of money that could have gone to student access.

Right now our district has a pot of money for technology that they don't want to spend. It's frustrating. There is such an impression of gloom and doom. However, the stimulus has money for the "modernization" of school. Isn't that a good thing?

Equity- well I have to say that I understand the issues. I spent $750 of my book money to get a SmartBoard. If the district gave one to every school that didn't have one, then I would not be okay with that. Actually when I did buy it, my principal talked to the IT guy and made sure we wouldn't get penalized for it. So I understand what Vicki was saying about letting those who are motivated lead. And I also agree with Robin that it would probably need to be a top down initiative after looking at the different models schools have.

1 comment:

Todd Frimoth said...

Please let me know the saga of how your district will spend its tech money. It's fascinating to watch the leadership of an organization make decisions, be it a methodical process or a knee-jerk reaction.